Ajitesh .....the birth story


It took me a bit of time before I got to write on this one……perhaps the most incredible moment in my life when my little one came into this world…..i had been reading a lot of stuff about birth stories contemplating how wud my own story turn out n how wud I be able to bear the whole thing since me and my husband were both not in favor of c –section …..as someone close to me remarked when I was I was pregnant “ nobody can prepare you for that time till u experience that time urself”……….this is so true…every birth story is unique with its fair share of highs and lows, tears and happiness culminating into one hell of a satisfying experience!!!!
So here I sit back and try to recall those 26 incredible hours of pain, despair, anxiety, happiness & contentment all rolled into one!!
It started on  8th at approximately 12.30….was talking to mom over the phone when this excruciating pain hit me and I blanked out for a full five minutes…..tears started rolling my eyes,and then it was gone!!!i knew it…..this was different…ouch this was the labour starting!!!!!!!! I talked to my husband who aware of my false pains suggested that I relax and that it might be another set of Brandon hick pains ……….
But in half an hr the pains started getting more stronger and at regular intervals of 10 min…….this time he finally took notice of it!(thank god 4 tht) we called up at the hospital …I tried to talk through pain but it was getting really difficult so I had husband do the talking ……the midwife was trying hard to explain that the early signs of labour had set in…..and wat could be done to relax and make sure that we do not check in the hospital too early only to turned back with a “too early” signal………..she told a hot water bath can help a lot and get rid of the sting of the pain…….the next thing I was in the bath tub trying to relax …this was my hero in the next 25 hrs of pain …my poor frantic husband wanted me to get out of the bath and hop into the bed thinking it wud relax me better…but I almost screamed on him.. “Dude it’s not regular bath……it’s a means to relax!!!!!!!!!!!!! n keep your ideas to urself rite now!!!!!!!!!!!!!” poor he ….:) the sequence of  getting into the tub and coming out of it continued till 3’o clock in the morning…………….oh I was I all over the place….crying,screaming,cursing,taunting and scared !!!!!poor hubby decided he just cant see me gtng more mad and in pain……. At 4’o clock we called up the pregnancy unit again to inform we would be on our way ….my labour bag had already been packed and so was the baby bag!!!
Yes finally we were on our way to the hospital….only 15 min drive from our house…we reached the pregnancy assessment unit at 4.22 to be precise but it was another 15 min wait as some emergency had cropped up…the midwife finally saw me at 5…….and after my internal examination told us that m 4cm dilated….for those who are wondering wat dilation is??It’s the opening of the entrance to the uterus to facilitate childbirth…anyways after this observation I was shifted to the birth suite…….and then there was an endless wait for the cervix to dilate fully……the midwifes changed shifts…..the doctors checked n went…..i had dilated more now close to 8cm but my waters had still not broken, the baby’s head was still not in its right position……I  was just passing through the motions……excruciating pain had engulfed me but I was controlling myself….i did not want to let go…not yet… the equinox wasn’t helping either..was desperately waiting for doctors to come and have a positive thing to sayL……..the doctors checked on me  at around 5 in the evening….the baby’s head was finally coming into the pelvic area…….after waiting for my body to take its own course, they finally relented and broke my waters…….gosh it was incredible amount of pain for next 10 hrs….the power of uterus took over me, the contractions became stronger & almost unbearable but in all this the little time I had between the contractions I relaxed all I could…..i screamed with all my might….the only thing that was going through my mind at this point of time was I would not let this pain take over me.....screaming meant a kind of “come on mister confront me with your best shot…..you r not gonna win easily”. the doctors again checked on me…..this battle was getting harder for me now….they decided it was time for the dreaded Syntocinon drip to increase the intensity of contractions……… ……if I could murder someone at that point of time..it surely would be one of those doctors….i squirmed in pain….the cervix had dilated to 8 cm now….it was almost 10.30 now…….the stress ball helped as I sat on it totally refusing to lie down on the bed…..lying down meant getting neck deep in pain which I just could not handle…….they asked if I wanted an epidural(p.s. epidural is a very effective pain relief given in the small part of the back to numb the senses thereby providing effective pain relief)…to which I easily agreed..my body needed some relief from this now never ending pain....the anesthesiologist came and injected me with epidural…he asked me to slouch in front in a cat like position and stay still…..poor hubby was in tears seeing the size of the injection and the way he ruthlessly put it in my spine….but all that I could feel was a numbness taking over my lower part……was relaxed for the first time in so many hours and had a cup of tea since 12.30 the previous day…….though I was not in favor of epidural in the first place the amount of relief it brought made me wonder why I had not chosen this long long back!!!!!!!
Some  more good news followed……. after almost 24 hrs of fighting with my own body I was ready to push……a new midwife was on the duty…….she held a towel in her hand and asked me to try n push herself towards me with all my force……yes i pushed….i pushed like I hadent in my whole life…hubby dear joked that I pushed better that one day than wat he does while exercising J but there was a problem…although I was trying to push with all my might the epidural had relaxed my muscles down there…the doctors decided it was time 4 vacuum assisted delivery….while I gave the hardest push…..the doctors caught the head of the little one and pulled him out of my body…….hubby with his trembling hands cut the cord…….the miracle had finally happened…after 26 hrs of pain ..i finally triumphed over it to have a cute little bundle of joy……..the circumference of his head was 35cms ……which explained why it took an assisted delivery to bring him into this world……I was totally exhausted, drained but overwhelming sense of joy and peace took me over ...all this while the only thought that kept me going was the beautiful feeling of a new life being brought into this world and the man with whom I had shared this feeling..He was staunchly behind me..silently crying sometimes almost fighting tears, anxiously looking down into my eyes, inquiring frantically about me and the baby’s health……….i said a silent thanks to him, culminating into a half smile on my face…….we together had triumphed over the biggest battle 
of my life both physically and emotionally………………
No words can describe the gamut of emotion I felt as I hugged my hubby and the baby lying on my deflated belly………Ajitesh meaning “unconquerable” had finally taken birth at 2.35am in this world and for me  these incredible 26hrs of   my life had finally come to an end……
.
                                          His first pic :)

                                       
                                 His first pic after he went home(he was kept in the nursery for a week after his birth

                                               
                                                     A Proud Daddy!!!


Ajitesh sleeping blissfully.............

Comments

  1. oh!1 niru its just an incredible read....!!!!
    am so ready for the next stage of my life reading this!!!!......congrats!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks a ton 4 d luvly comments!!!!!sush n shefali.....:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. was desperately waiting for dis story............seriously....thnx for writing.u r a braveeeeeeeeee galllll.... n momy now....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ajitesh is so adorable Nivi! This is the cutest post on this blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. thanks a ton ....@jyoti,tanvi n shruti.........:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Phulkari ,heritage reinvented!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The art of making perfect "Chickpea Masala"

Its Christmas time!